Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No ideas

I don't know anything about French anti-smoking campaigns. I can't watch the video in question here at work. And I don't know anything about La Meute des Chiennes de Garde, except that their name, which means "The Pack of (female) Watch Dogs," is awesome. I also don't know anything about Florence Montreynaud except that she's the president of La Meute.
 
But via my favorite blog, I see this quote from Montreynaud that I love independent of all that contextual stuff I don't know anything about:
 
"When people have no ideas, they use female bodies."
 
More substantial posting hopefully to come soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh. I like that one. I'm going to have to translate it back into french, for extra pretentiousness. The ads themselves...god. I'd say that's the worst thing i've ever seen, but then I remember the Dolce & Gabbana (sp?) gang rape ad and the Durex condom ad for their "XXL" condoms which shows a woman's face from the nose down (no eyes for extra dehumanization!) with band-aids on each side of her mouth. It's depressing to be treated as a consume-able product.

Ethan said...

Quand les gents n'ont pas des idées, ils utilisent les corps feminins? I suck at French.

Anyway, if you're not a consume-able product, you might as well not exist in our consumer culture!

Unknown said...

Dudes are at least presumed to be the consumers in the culture. Also not a delightful picnic, granted, but you escape the constant, aching guilt over being an inferior product.