Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Trying again

1. So once I had a blog where I listened to an hour of commercial radio and wrote about it. It was fun, but it was god-awfully time consuming. So I stopped.

2. Then I had a blog where I reviewed every new movie I went to see, but then I got a gig reviewing movies for Stylus, so I stopped. And then when Stylus stopped publishing like three months after I joined the writing staff, I didn't start back up again.

3. Then I had a blog where I just tried to write about something at least once a day, which I kept up for a while before posts became intermittent and then stopped entirely.

4. Then I briefly tried to re-start the radio blog on Vox, but I hated Vox and spending an hour listening to shitty radio and then longer than that trying to write wittily about it didn't get any less time consuming, so I stopped really quickly.

a. Then...oh, let's see. There was the police blog idea, where I was going to record every instance I saw of cops breaking traffic laws, but that never got off the ground, so I'm not counting it. I still think it's a good idea. Actually, speaking of cops breaking traffic laws, a few weeks ago I was walking to work and while I was walking across an overpass I saw a cop pull someone over on the highway and noticed that he didn't have his headlights on even though it was raining and his windshield wipers were on. Since I was essentially right next to him but completely unreachable to him, I figured, when am I going to get this chance again, so I yelled, "Officer!" He turned and looked up at me. So then I said, "Turn your damn lights on. When your wipers are going, you need to have your headlights on, dick!" Nothing he could fucking do about it. That was nice.

5. Um, anyway, that blog attempt doesn't count, especially since it wouldn't have been a very creative-oriented blog anyway, so we're still on four. Number five...there was the one where I wrote a pithy little something about every piece of music I listened to, which I really liked but which ended up consuming far too much of my life. So I stopped.

6 (?). Then there's the one that my friend Chris and I keep talking about writing, where we would write little essays about albums we think musicians should listen to for inspiration and then TOTALLY LEGALLY UH-HUH post the albums for download. We haven't gotten around to that yet, so I don't know if it counts.

6/7. So. That makes this my sixth or seventh attempt at being a blogger. This one might turn out better, at least for a little while, because I currently have a skull-crushingly dull temp job with lots of autonomy, not much to do, and internet access. So assuming I can think of something to write about, which I usually can, I should be able to write something pretty much every day.

Oh, and I'm thinking about having this feature at the end of every post--

Terrifying link of the day: What kind of “Election Day unrest” are we talking about?

No comments: